Skip to main content

Indian-origin Sikh wins NSW Australian of the Year award

Indian-origin Sikh wins NSW Australian of the Year award


 Indian-origin Sikh Amar Singh has been honored with the New South Wales Australian of the Year award for supporting the community impacted by floods, bushfires, drought, and the Covid-19 pandemic.

Singh, 41, is the founder and President of 'Turbans 4 Australia' -- a charity organization that assists people facing financial hardship, food insecurity, homelessness, and those impacted by natural calamities.

"Our President and Founder were named NSW Local Hero this week! We are beyond proud of you Amar," Turbans 4 Australia tweeted last week.

Singh, who was awarded in the Local Hero category, founded the charity in 2015 after experiencing racial slurs and insults because of his Sikh turban and beard, a New South Wales (NSW) government release stated.

"A co-worker once told me I looked like a terrorist. While simply going about my daily life, strangers on the street have asked me if I'm carrying a bomb, or what I'm hiding under my turban," Singh, a strong advocate of multiculturalism and interfaith dialogue, said.

"I wanted Australians to see Sikhs as people they could trust and turn to in times of need," he added.

Singh, who moved to Australia as a teenager, said that he has been very passionate about community service from a younger age.

Every week, Singh and his organization package and distribute up to 450 food and grocery hampers to people experiencing food insecurity in Western Sydney.

They have also delivered hay to farmers experiencing drought; supplies to flood victims in Lismore and bushfire-impacted people on the South Coast, and food hampers to the isolated and vulnerable during Covid-19 lockdowns.

Singh and his group are also teaching people in cities across Australia about the Sikh community via their Turban Fest events.

"By tying turbans on people's heads, we create an opportunity to chat without our fellow Australians and show them that our turbans and beards are nothing to fear," Singh said on his community website.

He was awarded Member of the Order of Liverpool (Honorary) in 2021.

In the past, Singh has volunteered during the Sydney 2000 Olympic games, Invictus Games, and Gold Coast commonwealth games.

Since its inception in 1960, the Australian of the Year award honors an exceptional group of highly-respected Australians who ignite discussion and change on issues of national importance.

Apart from Singh, there are four other recipients of the award from NSW, who will come together with awardees from other states for the national awards ceremony in Canberra on January 25, 2023.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syria Condemns Israeli Incursion into Beit Jinn, Holds Israel Responsible for Escalation

 Syria strongly condemned an Israeli military incursion into the town of Beit Jinn in rural Damascus, denouncing the assault on civilians and their property, which resulted in casualties and widespread panic. In an official statement, the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs described the incursion as a war crime, stating it followed Israel’s failed attempt to target the town. The ministry held Israeli authorities fully responsible for the aggression and its consequences. Syria called on the UN Security Council, the United Nations, and the Arab League to take urgent action to halt repeated violations. It reaffirmed its commitment to defending its sovereignty and people through all means permitted under international law.

Israel issues latest forced evacuation order in areas in Khan Younis

  The Israeli army’s Arabic-language spokesperson, Avichay Adraee, has issued the latest forced evacuation order for civilians living in nine areas in Khan Younis, southern Gaza. Adraee said that the army was expanding its operation and “intensifying sudden and concentrated firepower”. The spokesperson called on residents to evacuate westward. So-called Israeli safe zones, including Al-Mawasi in Khan Younis, are routinely attacked despite the army forcing Palestinians to move to those areas.

Bombay High Court Restricts Bursting of Firecrackers in Mumbai During Diwali to These Timings

  The festival of Diwali, often referred to as the "Festival of Lights," is celebrated with great enthusiasm and fervor across India. While the tradition of lighting lamps and bursting firecrackers has been an integral part of the festivities, concerns over air pollution and its adverse effects on public health have prompted authorities to regulate the use of fireworks. The Bombay High Court , in a recent decision, has imposed restrictions on the bursting of firecrackers in Mumbai during Diwali, specifying designated timings to minimize the environmental impact. In an effort to strike a balance between celebrating the festival and safeguarding the environment, the Bombay High Court issued a directive that restricts the use of firecrackers to specific time slots. The court's decision is a response to the rising concerns about air quality and noise pollution during Diwali, which often reaches hazardous levels in several Indian cities. These timings aim to strike a balance b...