Skip to main content

China: Protests continue despite relaxation in Covid restrictions


 Last week the People’s Republic of China ended its harsh zero-Covid policy. Despite relaxation in Covid restrictions, protests have continued in some Chinese cities.

Over the weekend, there have been 68 dissent incidents across 31 cities in China, according to Nathan Ruser, an OSINT (open source intelligence) researcher. Protests have continued in Beijing, Wuhan, Hebei, Guangzhou, Chengdu, and Shanghai. Students, residents, and workers are still protesting on the streets to challenge the Covid restrictions. 

Reportedly, at least nine new protests in eight Chinese cities were tracked by China Protests Monitor. On December 7, residents in Cangzhou, Hebei gathered at the gate of the heating company to protest against Covid restrictions. Another protest was reported in Jingmen, Hubei. 

On December 10, around 300 students of West China School of Clinical Medicine, Sichuan University, protested against the high intensity of work. Another protest was reported at Chongqing Medical University in Yuzhong District. They protested because students in the new campus were allowed to return home, while the students at the old campus were not released for a long time due to harsh Covid-restrictions. 

Protests erupted across China on November 25 after the Urumqi fire that killed at least 10 people. Protesters blamed Covid-19 lockdowns in Urumqi for the death of those ten people as help did not arrive on time. They called on authorities to end the zero-Covid policy. 

Subsequently, China loosened Covid restrictions that prohibited people from entering supermarkets and commercial buildings under the Zero-Covid policy. The Chinese authorities said that people no longer require a negative Covid test report to enter public places in Beijing, Shanghai, and other major Chinese cities. Wuhan, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Chengdu also announced relaxation in Covid restrictions. Urumqi also opened supermarkets, hotels, cinemas, and gyms. 

The National Health Commission (NHC) announced new guidelines, wherein Chinese officials would stop launching temporary lockdowns and end Covid testing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syria Condemns Israeli Incursion into Beit Jinn, Holds Israel Responsible for Escalation

 Syria strongly condemned an Israeli military incursion into the town of Beit Jinn in rural Damascus, denouncing the assault on civilians and their property, which resulted in casualties and widespread panic. In an official statement, the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs described the incursion as a war crime, stating it followed Israel’s failed attempt to target the town. The ministry held Israeli authorities fully responsible for the aggression and its consequences. Syria called on the UN Security Council, the United Nations, and the Arab League to take urgent action to halt repeated violations. It reaffirmed its commitment to defending its sovereignty and people through all means permitted under international law.

Israel issues latest forced evacuation order in areas in Khan Younis

  The Israeli army’s Arabic-language spokesperson, Avichay Adraee, has issued the latest forced evacuation order for civilians living in nine areas in Khan Younis, southern Gaza. Adraee said that the army was expanding its operation and “intensifying sudden and concentrated firepower”. The spokesperson called on residents to evacuate westward. So-called Israeli safe zones, including Al-Mawasi in Khan Younis, are routinely attacked despite the army forcing Palestinians to move to those areas.

Bombay High Court Restricts Bursting of Firecrackers in Mumbai During Diwali to These Timings

  The festival of Diwali, often referred to as the "Festival of Lights," is celebrated with great enthusiasm and fervor across India. While the tradition of lighting lamps and bursting firecrackers has been an integral part of the festivities, concerns over air pollution and its adverse effects on public health have prompted authorities to regulate the use of fireworks. The Bombay High Court , in a recent decision, has imposed restrictions on the bursting of firecrackers in Mumbai during Diwali, specifying designated timings to minimize the environmental impact. In an effort to strike a balance between celebrating the festival and safeguarding the environment, the Bombay High Court issued a directive that restricts the use of firecrackers to specific time slots. The court's decision is a response to the rising concerns about air quality and noise pollution during Diwali, which often reaches hazardous levels in several Indian cities. These timings aim to strike a balance b...