Skip to main content

Israel Threatens Beirut: Panic Erupts as Evacuation Orders Hit Dahiya — Is War Returning?

 


The streets of Dahiya, a Hezbollah stronghold near Beirut, erupted in chaos Friday as Israel issued an unprecedented evacuation order for residents near a suspected militant facility. For the first time since the November ceasefire, the Israeli military marked a building in the densely populated Hadath neighborhood as a potential target, warning anyone within 300 yards to flee immediately. The sudden escalation has reignited fears of a return to full-scale conflict, leaving civilians scrambling for safety amid blaring car horns and frantic warnings.

The Israeli military’s Arabic-language spokesman, Avichay Adraee, posted a map on social media pinpointing the exact location under threat, accusing it of housing Hezbollah-linked “facilities.” This move came after rockets were fired into northern Israel, triggering air-raid sirens in cities like Kiryat Shmona. While Hezbollah denied responsibility, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz issued a chilling warning: “If it’s not quiet in Kiryat Shmona… it shall not be quiet in Beirut.” The statement sent shockwaves through Lebanon, where memories of last year’s devastating airstrikes remain fresh.

Dahiya, a longtime Hezbollah support base, had been spared direct attacks since the ceasefire — until now. Residents described scenes of pandemonium as gunfire rang out in the streets, with people rushing to alert neighbors. “People are panicking,” said Elie Hachem, director of the nearby St. Therese hospital, which was heavily damaged in previous strikes. “I can hear cars honking like crazy outside.” The hospital, just 600 meters from the marked building, has no immediate evacuation plans, but staff are struggling to keep patients calm amid the growing tension.

The recent flare-up underscores the fragile nature of the truce between Israel and Hezbollah. Despite the ceasefire, Israel has continued strikes on southern Lebanon, but targeting Dahiya — so close to Beirut — marks a dangerous escalation. Analysts warn that any major strike in the area could provoke an all-out retaliation from Hezbollah, dragging both nations back into war. With neither side willing to back down, the region teeters on the brink of another devastating confrontation.

For now, Dahiya’s residents are left in limbo — weighing whether to flee or risk staying. Many recall the relentless airstrikes of last year, when entire buildings were reduced to rubble. “We thought the worst was over,” one local told reporters. “Now, we don’t know if we’ll wake up to bombs again.” The uncertainty is paralyzing, with families torn between abandoning their homes or waiting for the next explosion.

As tensions simmer, the international community watches nervously. The U.S.-brokered ceasefire was meant to bring stability, but with rockets still flying and threats escalating, peace seems more fragile than ever. Will diplomacy prevail, or is Lebanon — and the wider Middle East — headed for another bloody chapter? The next few hours could decide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syria Condemns Israeli Incursion into Beit Jinn, Holds Israel Responsible for Escalation

 Syria strongly condemned an Israeli military incursion into the town of Beit Jinn in rural Damascus, denouncing the assault on civilians and their property, which resulted in casualties and widespread panic. In an official statement, the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs described the incursion as a war crime, stating it followed Israel’s failed attempt to target the town. The ministry held Israeli authorities fully responsible for the aggression and its consequences. Syria called on the UN Security Council, the United Nations, and the Arab League to take urgent action to halt repeated violations. It reaffirmed its commitment to defending its sovereignty and people through all means permitted under international law.

Israel issues latest forced evacuation order in areas in Khan Younis

  The Israeli army’s Arabic-language spokesperson, Avichay Adraee, has issued the latest forced evacuation order for civilians living in nine areas in Khan Younis, southern Gaza. Adraee said that the army was expanding its operation and “intensifying sudden and concentrated firepower”. The spokesperson called on residents to evacuate westward. So-called Israeli safe zones, including Al-Mawasi in Khan Younis, are routinely attacked despite the army forcing Palestinians to move to those areas.

Bombay High Court Restricts Bursting of Firecrackers in Mumbai During Diwali to These Timings

  The festival of Diwali, often referred to as the "Festival of Lights," is celebrated with great enthusiasm and fervor across India. While the tradition of lighting lamps and bursting firecrackers has been an integral part of the festivities, concerns over air pollution and its adverse effects on public health have prompted authorities to regulate the use of fireworks. The Bombay High Court , in a recent decision, has imposed restrictions on the bursting of firecrackers in Mumbai during Diwali, specifying designated timings to minimize the environmental impact. In an effort to strike a balance between celebrating the festival and safeguarding the environment, the Bombay High Court issued a directive that restricts the use of firecrackers to specific time slots. The court's decision is a response to the rising concerns about air quality and noise pollution during Diwali, which often reaches hazardous levels in several Indian cities. These timings aim to strike a balance b...