Skip to main content

UAE ambassador to Iran to return after 6 years

UAE ambassador to Iran to return after 6 years

 More than six years after the Gulf Arab state cut relations with Tehran, the United Arab Emirates announced that its ambassador to Iran, Saif Mohammed Al Zaabi, would return to Tehran "in coming days."

The foreign ministry stated in a statement that the declaration on Sunday is consistent with UAE efforts to improve ties with Iran "to realize the common interests of the two countries and the wider region".

After Iranian protesters broke into Saudi Arabia's diplomatic missions in Iran following Riyadh's death of prominent Shia scholar Nimr al-Nimr, the UAE cut off relations with Tehran in 2016.

The UAE official media said that the Emirati and Iranian foreign ministers spoke on the phone last week and discussed strengthening ties, including the possibility of sending an ambassador back to Tehran.

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian and Emirati Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan spoke about measures to "improve bilateral relations and areas of collaboration for the benefit of both nations," according to a report from the UAE's state news agency WAM.

Following strikes in Gulf waters and on Saudi oil sites in 2019, the UAE began re-engaging with Iran after years of hostility on opposing sides of geopolitical rivalry.

At a time when Gulf Arab states are closely monitoring efforts to restore Tehran's 2015 nuclear agreement with international powers—which they view as defective for failing to address its missile program—Saudi Arabia also took steps last year to strengthen ties with Iran.

Although Tehran's actions in the area should halt, Riyadh and Abu Dhabi also want to keep tensions in check so they can concentrate on their economic interests.

With Dubai serving as one of Iran's primary gateways to the outside world for a very long time, the UAE and Iran have had economic and trade connections for more than a century.

Kuwait, a neighboring Gulf nation, named its first ambassador to Iran 2016 earlier this month.

The UAE normalized relations with Israel in September 2020, which led to the current thawing of diplomatic ties. Under the so-called Abraham Accords, which were mediated by the United States, three additional Arab nations, Bahrain, Sudan, and Morocco, also established diplomatic ties with Israel.

Emirati officials have intensified their efforts to strengthen trade ties with Iran and lessen the threat posed by its regional affiliates even as the UAE normalized relations with Tehran's adversary in the region.

Abu Dhabi was the target of drone and missile attacks earlier this year by Houthi rebels in Yemen who are supported by Iran, harming the UAE's standing as a safe haven in a difficult area.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syria Condemns Israeli Incursion into Beit Jinn, Holds Israel Responsible for Escalation

 Syria strongly condemned an Israeli military incursion into the town of Beit Jinn in rural Damascus, denouncing the assault on civilians and their property, which resulted in casualties and widespread panic. In an official statement, the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs described the incursion as a war crime, stating it followed Israel’s failed attempt to target the town. The ministry held Israeli authorities fully responsible for the aggression and its consequences. Syria called on the UN Security Council, the United Nations, and the Arab League to take urgent action to halt repeated violations. It reaffirmed its commitment to defending its sovereignty and people through all means permitted under international law.

Israel issues latest forced evacuation order in areas in Khan Younis

  The Israeli army’s Arabic-language spokesperson, Avichay Adraee, has issued the latest forced evacuation order for civilians living in nine areas in Khan Younis, southern Gaza. Adraee said that the army was expanding its operation and “intensifying sudden and concentrated firepower”. The spokesperson called on residents to evacuate westward. So-called Israeli safe zones, including Al-Mawasi in Khan Younis, are routinely attacked despite the army forcing Palestinians to move to those areas.

Bombay High Court Restricts Bursting of Firecrackers in Mumbai During Diwali to These Timings

  The festival of Diwali, often referred to as the "Festival of Lights," is celebrated with great enthusiasm and fervor across India. While the tradition of lighting lamps and bursting firecrackers has been an integral part of the festivities, concerns over air pollution and its adverse effects on public health have prompted authorities to regulate the use of fireworks. The Bombay High Court , in a recent decision, has imposed restrictions on the bursting of firecrackers in Mumbai during Diwali, specifying designated timings to minimize the environmental impact. In an effort to strike a balance between celebrating the festival and safeguarding the environment, the Bombay High Court issued a directive that restricts the use of firecrackers to specific time slots. The court's decision is a response to the rising concerns about air quality and noise pollution during Diwali, which often reaches hazardous levels in several Indian cities. These timings aim to strike a balance b...