Skip to main content

US approves major arms sale to Saudi Arabia, UAE to combat Iran

US approves major arms sale to Saudi Arabia, UAE to combat Iran

The Biden administration has authorised two sizable arms transactions to aid Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates in their defence against Iran.

More than USD 5 billion in missile defence and related purchases have been made following President Joe Biden's trip to the Middle East last month, during which he visited with various regional officials in Saudi Arabia. Recent months have seen rocket assaults on Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates by Yemen's Houthi rebel movement, which is supported by Iran.

Although the permits on Tuesday are for defensive weaponry, senators who backed Biden's decision to bar Saudi Arabia and the UAE from significant purchases of offensive US weapons because of their involvement in the war in Yemen may criticise them.

The new sales include USD 2.2 billion for high-altitude missile defence for the UAE and USD 3 billion for Patriot missiles for Saudi Arabia that are intended for self-defence against Houthi rocket assaults.

The State Department stated in its notice advising Congress of the sale that "the proposed sale will boost the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's capability to combat existing and future threats by replenishing its decreasing supply of PATRIOT GEM-T missiles."

According to the department, "These missiles are employed to protect the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's frontiers against ongoing cross-border Houthi unmanned aerial systems and ballistic missile strikes on Saudi Arabian civilian locations and important infrastructure."

The government said that the sale would benefit the UAE. "By contributing to the security enhancement of a significant regional ally, you are supporting the foreign policy and national security of the United States." "For political stability and economic development in the Middle East, the UAE is a crucial US ally."

Early in his presidency, Biden had promised to stop or scale back military supplies to Saudi Arabia and the UAE due to their activities in Yemen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syria Condemns Israeli Incursion into Beit Jinn, Holds Israel Responsible for Escalation

 Syria strongly condemned an Israeli military incursion into the town of Beit Jinn in rural Damascus, denouncing the assault on civilians and their property, which resulted in casualties and widespread panic. In an official statement, the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs described the incursion as a war crime, stating it followed Israel’s failed attempt to target the town. The ministry held Israeli authorities fully responsible for the aggression and its consequences. Syria called on the UN Security Council, the United Nations, and the Arab League to take urgent action to halt repeated violations. It reaffirmed its commitment to defending its sovereignty and people through all means permitted under international law.

Israel issues latest forced evacuation order in areas in Khan Younis

  The Israeli army’s Arabic-language spokesperson, Avichay Adraee, has issued the latest forced evacuation order for civilians living in nine areas in Khan Younis, southern Gaza. Adraee said that the army was expanding its operation and “intensifying sudden and concentrated firepower”. The spokesperson called on residents to evacuate westward. So-called Israeli safe zones, including Al-Mawasi in Khan Younis, are routinely attacked despite the army forcing Palestinians to move to those areas.

Bombay High Court Restricts Bursting of Firecrackers in Mumbai During Diwali to These Timings

  The festival of Diwali, often referred to as the "Festival of Lights," is celebrated with great enthusiasm and fervor across India. While the tradition of lighting lamps and bursting firecrackers has been an integral part of the festivities, concerns over air pollution and its adverse effects on public health have prompted authorities to regulate the use of fireworks. The Bombay High Court , in a recent decision, has imposed restrictions on the bursting of firecrackers in Mumbai during Diwali, specifying designated timings to minimize the environmental impact. In an effort to strike a balance between celebrating the festival and safeguarding the environment, the Bombay High Court issued a directive that restricts the use of firecrackers to specific time slots. The court's decision is a response to the rising concerns about air quality and noise pollution during Diwali, which often reaches hazardous levels in several Indian cities. These timings aim to strike a balance b...